Tuesday 12 January 2016

A tattoo itch...

So my lovely readers, I have been having an urge recently to get a new tattoo. Which means I wanted to do a little post about my ideas and thoughts behind my decisions. I have always believed people should get tattoo's for a reason, not for a statement to look 'cool' or 'trendy'. I just find it more appealing to see someone with an amazing sleeve or piece for a loved one or for their children something along them lines, especially when it is done well and not something they will regret. Hats off honestly to the people who can sit for hours getting a big piece done because although the pain is bare able I don't think i could cope more than 2/3 hours (maybe it's because I move around a lot and hate being sat still).

Now I won't go into massive detail about my life because that's not what you are here for, but I have been through some ups and downs and some heartache in my short 20 years. This leads me to think I want something majestic and strong as my next tattoo, something that I can look at and think 'I'm strong and I'm here still'. Personally, I am drawn to smaller delicate tattoo's maybe it's because I'm a girl but I just find them sweet and think sometimes they look really nice compared to a full chest piece or something. I believe I wouldn't suit a big tattoo like a sleeve for instance because I would have no clue what to put into it and I don't personally think their suited to my sense of style and personality whereas small delicate tattoo's are.


So when I was thinking about what I wanted I knew I wanted something majestic and powerful that represents strength and relationships. No one has helped me more through my hardest times than my family especially my mum and my grandma and then theirs Nathan. A guy that showed me not all lads or girls (whatever your preference) will cheat on you, control you and treat you badly. So it's one of them moments where I have reached a stage where I am happy and content with my life and I want something to show me I'm stronger than I know.

So if you hadn't guessed I was thinking of an elephant tattooed on the back of my neck well just higher than my shoulder blades and the based of my neck. There is no other animal I know of that is as strong and powerful, so loyal to family and their 'friends' than an elephant. They also portray to me a sense of wisdom and that's something I love because if it wasn't for the bad times I wouldn't know how to avoid them in the future..

I think this tattoo is so beautiful in it's detail, I found this while searching for elephant tattoos on Pinterest. I love how small and dainty it is while still being absolutely packed with detail.One think you cannot refute about the elephant is that despite its size and might, it is a very endearing animal.

What fascinates me about the elephant is that despite it's huge outer appearance they are kind and gentle or perhaps not seen as vicious like a lion or tiger if that makes sense. The elephant tattoo has a different meaning to everyone there is never a distinct meaning it is known in the eye of it's owner. To me it would mean strength/wisdom/relationships and a journey but to others it could be favourite animal or a hard time they have been through that isn't the same as mine.



I find these two rather interesting in their different appearances, the top one is appealing as a herd/parade of elephants like a family all together. Whereas the one underneath is a single independent strong elephant with some beautiful mandala/tribal detail which is something that massively appeals to me. If I could incorporate the two together that would be my perfect tattoo small and detail which i know is very hard to pull off. I think my overall goal for this tattoo is for it not to come of cartoony, some do look cute but honestly I don't want something cartoony when it means so much to me. Ewwww I sound so strict and stern hahaha…


Above are some more dainty tattoos which I liked and the bottom right one I decided to add in because it had a lot of detail and looked rather nice with the girls tanned skin and the placement was rather appealing.

So I haven't made this public yet but the origin of my name is a rather beautiful story, which I may save for a blog post all to itself. I was named after my grandma Sarah as Sarah in Hebrew means Princess and Zoe in Greek means Life, for as far back as my family can remember every female in my family has been called Sarah or had Sarah as a middle name. My name for instance is Zoesarah like together as one, really it should be like Zoe-Sarah double barrell but nope my birth certificate says Zoesarah (guess my parents couldn't make their minds up haha). Anyway, my gran always played a HUGE part in my life and did so much for me so when we were hit with the news she had 12 weeks to live around October time and Cancer had spread all over her body my world fell apart. But for my gran it didn't she completely denied the fact she was ill up until her last days and when she passed on the 4th January 2009 I felt like I had lost everything and my source of wisdom.

So I suppose in a way the elephant represents my gran also in strength,wisdom and guidance along with the family ties. However, the elephant is not the only tattoo I want… to know my gran she was was always interested in teaching me the best she could and I became so interested in history like Greek's, Romans, The Wars everything like that. She taught me a lot through books and ever since she passed I have still tried to keep up reading books at least once a month depending how busy I am. Mainly because when I read I feel like I am with her, while she would read her favourite passage from a book. Anyway, I became very interested in Greek Mythology from a very early age because of the stories my gran told me along with Roman history as well. In my later teenage years I began to like the Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordan and there mythical magic and adventure. So combining this all together I decided I would love to get roman numerals tattooed on my collar bone of her birthday which would look something like this…


The image above is my grans birthday 31.01.1931 as I feel like if the day she was born is with me she will live in forever like the absolute hero that she was.

just a few ideas of what I mean…

I think these tattoos along with the elephant are so classic and personal to me and would look right on my body. I chose places where the tattoo could not get damaged or stretched through things like pregnancy or anything. I would happily have these tattoos when I am an old woman at least they would have a story behind it about struggle and hard times with a journey and a true hero in my eyes.


Anyway thank you my lovelies for reading this ramble,

All my love,






No comments:

Post a Comment